8.25.2010

A First...

Good evening from SA!  We had a good day here...still a little chilly - although I hear it is warming up tomorrow.  We had a fun day this morning as our friend, Pastor Wernich set up a tour of one of the World Cup Stadiums for us.  It was such a fun tour.  Thanks Pastor!


the stadium has giraffe heads on the top - very cool

the seats look like zebras

scott and joey having a rugby match?!

beautiful stadium

Tonight we were all spread out into the townships in tents.  Joey was in one, Scott L and Mike were in one and I went with Scott D.  I haven't heard Joey's report for the night (he was in a different area of town), but for us it was a night of firsts.  I was with Scott D and as we got to the tent we had a power outage.  I know you are probably thinking ok, big deal, but we are in a strange town (not to mention a strange country), in a tent full of people who do not speak our language, at night and the lights go out (and this isn't a brightly lit tent anyway - the lights in the tent consist of 4 light bulbs).  I was standing in the corner of the tent a few feet away from Scott taking photos and when the lights went out - I was at his side in a flash.  He said he had never seen me move so fast, but I was not standing in the corner alone in the dark!  If you have ever seen the movie Mr. Deeds with the butler that shows out of nowhere - that was me.  I just appeared at SD's side!! :)  The lights stayed off maybe 5 minutes.  That did not stop the people - they continued singing and worshiping.  Scott was ready to go and preach without a mic and use candles, but the Lord was gracious and the lights came on.  We had around 115 people there and had 19 make decisions for Christ - praise God!  After Scott finished preaching - the lights went out again!  God is good isn't He?!!  Scott leaned over to me after the 2nd power outage and said - "well there's another first for you and I" - being in a tent in a strange country in the dark.  Scott Lenning's tent did not have any power the entire night (there was a blackout in the township).  He continued with his message and 7 people came to know Christ in a dark tent with candles!  Love it!

So, needless to say - we had a day of firsts - good firsts!  Tomorrow Scott D is going to the University to lead morning devotions and Scott L is going to lead morning devotions at the Community Forum Offices.  Tomorrow night we will be back in townships under tents.  Pray for lights! :)  Also, please pray not only for our team, but also our families while we are gone.  Satan likes to mess with our loved ones when we are out of town.  Scott D's wife, Tarra, was in a car accident today.  She is physically fine, just a little shaken up.

Number update - we have seen close to 400 decisions for Christ this week.  We had several young gang members come to the Lord last night. In addition, a witch doctor came to the Lord! She said that last night was the first night she had slept “Well” in her life! We are halfway there - please continue to pray for the people of Nelspruit.    

Fun Facts:
  • a pot is potjie    
  • picking up is fetching
  • how are you is how's it
Here are some fun photos from our time at the University yesterday...
the University team
Joey and I

back to college??!!!

I'll be home one week from today!  
Love to all!

No comments: