Joey and I were back at the University today. We went and he did the morning devotion - it was exciting to see that the crowd doubled. Yesterday we had 80 and today we were at 160 - very exciting for us! I went to the Mission Africa office for a few hours. I got caught up on my journal (I have been way behind on writing about my experience here) and then attended a meeting to take reports of the attendance and decision counts. So far from yesterday we had over 1100 people attend the different township meetings and over 130 make decisions for Christ! Very exciting!! We pray that the attendance builds every night as people hear about what is going on. Just to give you some details - there are multiple meetings going on every day and night. We are just a team of evangelists that have come - there are others that are here doing what we are doing.
After lunch we came back to the hotel and I uploaded videos and photos (I am the collector of all things media for SDEA this week). I took a nap and slept much longer than planned. I thought I would sleep for about an hour. I set an alarm in case I slept longer, I am glad I did - because that is the only thing that woke me up. I guess I am more tired than I have realized...been running on adrenaline the past week.
Tonight Joey and I headed back to the University, while Scott, Scott and Mike went to tents in the townships. The boy from last night who had been dealing with issues in his life came back tonight and Joey got to speak with him. We learned more about his past and the ancestral "gods" that the people here deal with. Its really foreign to us. But its been such a good experience and eye opening thing for me. I have learned a lot just listening to the other evangelists speak of the "gods" (and I am using gods lightly here - its something much bigger than this) people deal with. We believe that this boy has a chance if he chooses to follow Christ with his whole being. Tonight Joey told him not only his heart, but his mind, and from the top of his head to the bottom of his feet. Please pray for this young man. His dad died a few years ago and his mom is a major force in his life. Its not a good force because she doesn't have Jesus in her life - she worships other things. We had 4 people give their life to Christ tonight. We have been very encouraged by these university students. They do have a hunger for Christ. Tonight a girl named, Zoe (that isn't her name - but that's what I call her - its more life Zotle) shared with them how they need to be praying for their parents and friends who do not know Christ. These students do not come from the "Bible belt", they didn't grow up in church, their families do not go to church. It takes a lot for them to leave the pressures of their families and follow HIM. Pray for these students, they could be the ones who reach Africa for Christ!
So, that's my day today. Tomorrow night Joey and I will be going into a township for him to preach in a tent. We are excited about this since we have not been able to go into the townships yet. I was thinking this morning that I've been gone a week - its crazy that I've been gone that long and I have one more week to go. I have learned a lot in a week. Its a different world here, yet a lot of things are the same. I have a lot in my heart tonight as I reflect on the things I've seen the past week. My eyes have been opened to other things bigger than the world that I live in. There is more going on in this world than in Birmingham, AL. I'm thankful that I have gotten to experience what I have the past week. Its not all been easy and fun - sometimes its frustrating because it is a different culture and I have to be flexible and realize that I am not in Alabama anymore. I just pray that as the next week continues the Lord will continue to show me things that I need to learn about myself and others.
Fun Facts:
- cookies are called biscuits here
- french fries are called chips
- gas is petrol
Below is my tour of the courtyard where we are staying...
Love to All From Africa!


No comments:
Post a Comment