
Where were you seven years ago today? I was sitting in my car in the parking lot at work, listening to Mark Prater on the Rick and Bubba Show when he said, "wow, the World Trade Center is on fire". I ran up to our office, turned on the tv in the board room and alerted everyone about what was going on. We gathered around and watched in horror as the second plane hit the other tower. We, like the rest of the world, were shocked, terrified, hurt, sad, so many emotions running through our mind.
The day drug by watching and listening to the horror what was going on in NYC, Washington and PA. I wanted to leave work, I wanted to go, be with my family and just be together. Everyone needed to be around the people they loved that night. Tracy was in school at Buffalo, so far away from everyone. I know she was so lonely and sad up there. I remember being amazed that every channel on the tv and every radio station was on the coverage of 9/11, MTV, Home Shopping Channel, everything but the children's channels. Churches were filled that Sunday, American flags were flying everywhere, blood banks had people lined down the road. The world stopped that day, that week, that month.
Now seven years have gone by. The pain isn't as deep as it once was. It doesn't seem as as important day as it was six years ago after the first, second or even third anniversary. Yes, some flags still fly at half staff, there are still some ceremonies across the country, but its not the lead story on the news, they do not have a moment of silence like they used to. Today it was talk of lice, mortgages, and cooking during the moment of silence. People have forgotten, do not seem to care or want to forget the horror of that day.
This morning, seven years later, I was driving to work listening to Rick and Bubba. As they replayed the montage of that day, I could not help but think about where I was, the lives that were lost, and the sacrifices our soldiers have made for us. I could not help but cry for the lives lost, the children without dads and moms and the memories of that day. I hope we never forget or take the date of September 11 for granted. And I pray our country will be never have to experience a terror like that again.


No comments:
Post a Comment