10.05.2009

Movie Review Monday - Time Travelers Wife

Another movie that came out in August- I was super excited to see this because the trailer looked so good. I even read the book at the beach before I went to see the movie. My review is below...

Synopsis (from Screen It) -
Henry DeTamble (ERIC BANA) discovers at an early age that he has the power to time travel. He narrowly escapes a fiery car crash that claims his mother's (MICHELLE NOLDEN) life and is promptly greeted by his adult self as they watch the crash happen from a distance. Young Henry learns that his condition is a genetic one that he can't control.

During one time-shift as an adult, he is deposited into a bucolic meadow where he meets 6-year-old Clare (BROOKLYNN PROULX), who sees him as a sort of magic man and falls instantly in love. Years later, an adult Clare (RACHEL McADAMS) sees an even younger Henry than the one she first met as a child working in a Chicago library. She decides to tell him of their amazing past together. They fall in love, let a few friends and family members in on Henry's secret (most notably, mutual pal Gomez played by RON LIVINGSTON), and ultimately get married.

The marriage, though, proves hard on Clare. She doesn't know when Henry will be there or when he'll leave. She often spends holidays alone. But her love for him is great, and she wants to have Henry's child. But each time they conceive, Clare miscarries because the fetus carries the same genetic anomaly as Henry.

At the same time, the couple is haunted by a brief episode in which a bloody Henry time-travels into their living room, suffering from a fatal gunshot would. Just as quick as he arrives, he then disappears leaving them shaken and wondering how much time they still have together. Henry fears for Clare's future and his own and subsequently takes drastic steps to protect her.

Gina's take...Wow was I disappointed in this movie. The trailer won me over months before it came out and I was determined to go and see this. I went with some ladies from work and a couple of my friends - they were all disappointed. I could follow the movie because I had read the book (which of course was different from the book), but everyone else was lost most of the time.

Gina's Rating...Will you regret seeing this at the movies? maybe (I do not regret it because I read the book, I think everyone else did though). Is it a must see at the movies? NO - its definitely a renter - do not waster your $.

Rated: PG-13 for language and nudity (When Henry travels through time, his clothes stay behind. When he reappears, he is naked. Most of the time, he is shown from the waist up. But we do see his bare buttocks after one of his first time-shifts in the film and then a second time (very briefly) later in the film.).

No comments: