5.26.2008

My Memorial Day Hero

Every Memorial Day since September 18, 1992 my thoughts have been to the hero of our family - Capt. Nick Stribling. Nick was an Air Force pilot. He flew B-52's - huge honking planes.
(this is a photo of him landing the B-52)

He was in the Gulf War and returned successfully. He and his co-pilot were killed when the plane he was in crashed in Mississippi near the home of the co-pilot's parents. It was a tragedy that is still hard to wrap my mind around to this day. Nick was only 28 years old and he left behind a wife (my cousin) he loved passionately and a 5 year old son who adored him and he adored. It rocked our family more than I can ever explain. Nick was the guy that everyone loved. He never met a stranger and lived life to the fullest.



I remember as a little girl he would always get in the floor and wrestle with me and Tracy. He called himself "Strong Man Stribling". We loved it. He called me GG, tried to teach me how to drive a stick shift and I have never allowed anyone else to try to teach me since. I stayed with he and Nin (that's what I call my cousin) for two weeks the summer after my freshman year in high school. It was a blast for me.

Yes, that is me during their reception. It wasn't planned for me to be in the photo - but I guess my face was priceless - so the photographer couldn't resist.

They lived in Shreveport, LA. His job allowed him to be at home a lot in the day - so he, Zach and I would get out go to lunch, the base, we would get a snow cone every day and just hang out. We went to a minor league baseball game (the first one I had ever been to). It was a great two weeks.


The day Nick was killed will be a day I will never forget, really that entire week after he died is a time I will never forget. Sadness and grief was everywhere we turned. From Jasper and Alabaster, AL, parts of Georgia to Shreveport, LA people were grieving. We grieved a life that was gone much too soon. I cannot hear "Taps" to this day without thinking of him. I went to visit his grave a couple of weeks ago and it seems like 1992 was so long ago, yet it doesn't. I thought of all he has missed since he has been gone. He has missed birthdays, holidays, weddings, graduations. He has missed seeing his son graduate from high school and returning from Iraq as a Marine. He would be so proud. Yet, he is so much better off than we are now. Sometimes in our grief and sadness we forget that he isn't missing a thing. He is rejoicing and praising his KING forevermore. We are the ones that think of all he is missing - but he really isn't. He wouldn't choose our life now - he would choose where he is now.


Nick - you are missed and loved every day. Thank you for the sacrifice you gave our country.

No comments: