5.24.2010

Movie Review Monday - Iron Man 2

My friends wanted to go and see Iron Man - so I decided to go.  I hadn't seen the first one - so we watched it before we went.  I really enjoyed it - more than I thought I would.  And I liked Iron Man 2 as well.  My review is below....

Synopsis from Screen It:

After his public admission, everyone now knows that billionaire Tony Stark (ROBERT DOWNEY JR.) is also the superhero Iron Man, and he's basking in the glory of his fame and the fact that his actions have resulted in an unusually long period of uninterrupted world peace. Yet, he has a number of detractors, including U.S. Senator Stern (GARRY SHANDLING) who wants him to turn over his high-tech flying suit to the military and allow military contractor CEO Justin Hammer (SAM ROCKWELL) to mass produce the equipment. During an Armed Services Committee hearing, Stern even gets Tony's close friend, Air Force Lt. Col. Jim Rhodes (DON CHEADLE) to read an out-of-context statement to cast doubt on having just one lone gun to protect the world.Then there's Ivan Vanko (MICKEY ROURKE), a former Russian physicist who thinks Tony's dad stole a research idea from his father -- that eventually led to the chest implant device that powers Iron Man's abilities and keeps Tony alive -- and thus wants revenge. His own work eventually leads to the creation of a similarly powered outfit, complete with long, electrified steel whips, with which he tries to kill Tony. Back at his Malibu estate, Tony has promoted his personal assistant, Pepper Potts (GWYNETH PALTROW), to CEO of his company, thus meaning the comely Natalie Rushman (SCARLETT JOHANSSON) joins his small stuff that also includes driver Happy Hogan (JON FAVREAU) and his in-home computer system, Jarvis (voice of PAUL BETTANY). As Tony contends with Ivan wanting him dead, Hammer competitively wanting to best him and Stern wanting to shut down his world-saving heroics, he must also deal with trying to find a replacement for his chest-implanted power source that is slowly killing him, as well as the presence of Nick Fury (SAMUEL L. JACKSON) who's interested in having Iron Man join a new team he's forming. Gina's Rating:  I did like it, although I liked the first one better.  I never thought I was into "guy movies", but I enjoyed this one.  Robert Downey Jr isn't bad to look at either!  If you have seen the first one, you will like the second one. Rated:  PG-13

No comments: