4.12.2010

Movie Review Monday - Last Song

I saw Last Song last weekend. Again, love Nicholas Sparks - but WHY must we change the movie from the book? It wasn't changed as bad as it was with Dear John - but there were still some changes. My review is below...

Synopsis from Screen It:
onnie Miller (MILEY CYRUS) is a surly teenage girl from New York who isn't happy that her mom, Kim (KELLY PRESTON), has arranged for her and her younger brother, Jonah (BOBBY COLEMAN), to spend the summer with their father, Steve (GREG KINNEAR), at his Georgia beachfront home where he's crafting a new stained glass window for the local church that recently burned down. Ronnie's attitude stems from blaming her parents' past divorce on him, and thus hasn't touched a piano since then, despite and because of being a gifted pianist just like her dad.
In fact, despite being accepted to attend Julliard, she'd rather live an aimless life and sulk, exacerbated by the fact that she'll likely be friendless for the entire summer. A local teen, Blaze (CARLY CHAIKIN), does partially befriend Ronnie, but her boyfriend Marcus (NICK LASHAWAY) is a jerk. Then there's Will Blakelee (LIAM HEMSWORTH), another local teen who's something of a jack of all trades. When not working in an auto shop with his friend Scott (HALLOCK BEALS), he's playing volleyball or serving as a volunteer at the nearby aquarium.

Ronnie initially wants nothing to do with him, but the fact that he's taken an interest in protecting a nest of sea turtle eggs -- just like her -- eventually wears down her defenses. The two quickly become friends and then more. Yet, Ronnie must then contend not only with facts and rumors about him, but also an unexpected family crisis that forces her to grow up.


Gina's Take: It was a cheesy movie in some parts. I was really looking forward to this movie but was not blown away by it. I had read the book and knew what was going to happen (for the most part). Teenage girls will love it and trust me - they will need tissues - I had brought tissues because I heard it was sad...I did not use them - but I did hand it to the girl who had mascara running down her face :). Wait for the $1 movie or rent it...

Rated: PG

No comments: